Horror-story: Oracle Personal Edition 8.1.6 Installation on Win98

From: Sigurd Eckermann <Sigurd.Eckermann_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:49:57 +0100

Hallo Experts,

I used MS-SQL-Server 7.0 before.
Now I need to work with Oracle.
I downloaded the Personal Edition 8.1.6 for Win98 from Oracle-Server.

I use a PIII-800Mhz, 256Mb RAM, 30Gb HD, Win98SE.

The installation was successful.
I can see the sampledatabase in the Navigator.

I tryed to create a database with default values. It was createt, a little Icon is visible in the taskbar.
But I was not able to connect to this database in the navigator. He never said me the login and pass for the new database.(And never asked me)

I tryed to create a new database with not default values. There he asked me for a password.
But he worked about 3 hours to create the database with no result.

I dont understand it all. He needed about 1h to install the package. To create a database it takes about 30 Mins.(with default values)

These were my first experiences with Oracle-Database-Software .... !!!!

I never seen something like that with MS SQL-Server.

How can I connect to a local database ? Where can I see login and pass ? Who has got experiences with this software-package ?

thx
Sigurd Eckermann Received on Wed Dec 06 2000 - 03:49:57 CST