Re: Horror-story: Oracle Personal Edition 8.1.6 Installation on Win98

From: Nick Butcher <nickb_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 11:27:09 -0000

Hi Sigurd

Username: system
Password: manager (use caution when logged in as 'system' as you will have DBA privileges)
for other combinations try scott/tiger (for the demos) or sys/change_on_install (be very careful with this one as you can screw the database completely as this user)
You should not need to provide an instance name as it will be set up as a default (LOCAL in your registry) but it should be either ORCL or ORACLE I have to say that without some knowledge of Oracle you won't be able to get far even when you log in.
Try 'Oracle8i A Beginners Guide' from Oracle Press to get started

Good Luck

Nick