Re: Horror-story: Oracle Personal Edition 8.1.6 Installation on Win98

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:08:49 GMT

In article <90l28g$efe$03$1_at_news.t-online.com>,   "Sigurd Eckermann" <Sigurd.Eckermann_at_gmx.de> wrote:
> Hallo Experts,
>
> I used MS-SQL-Server 7.0 before.
> Now I need to work with Oracle.
> I downloaded the Personal Edition 8.1.6 for Win98 from Oracle-Server.
>
> I use a PIII-800Mhz, 256Mb RAM, 30Gb HD, Win98SE.
>
> The installation was successful.
> I can see the sampledatabase in the Navigator.
>
> I tryed to create a database with default values. It was createt, a
 little
> Icon is visible in the taskbar.
> But I was not able to connect to this database in the navigator.
> He never said me the login and pass for the new database.(And never
 asked
> me)
>
> I tryed to create a new database with not default values. There he
 asked me
> for a password.
> But he worked about 3 hours to create the database with no result.
>
> I dont understand it all. He needed about 1h to install the package.
> create a database it takes about 30 Mins.(with default values)
>
> These were my first experiences with Oracle-Database-
 Software .... !!!!

> I never seen something like that with MS SQL-Server.
>
> How can I connect to a local database ? Where can I see login and
 pass ?
> Who has got experiences with this software-package ?
>
> thx
> Sigurd Eckermann

Personal Oracle is Personal Oracle, you can only create one database. Also you don't create databases in Oracle like you do in sqlserver. You create schemas instead.
You can't learn Oracle without reading any manual. People with a sqlserver background usually don't seem to read any manual. Please try reading the getting started manual and the Oracle concepts manual. You did install the documentation, did you?

Regards,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply