Re: installed Oracle 8i on linux box-how do I start it with X-windows?

From: bany1 <kheunc_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:23:52 -0400

Mike wrote:

> Can anybody, help, please!
> I went through hell installing Oracle 8i on my linux box at home. Is it
> possible to start it with X-windows, so I get some menu for quick start or
> is 'sqlplus' command it?
> How do I start using it?

Mike,
Congrats on your installation of Oracle 8i. I am about to do the same, but I was unsure because I do not have the required H/W (Memory) which oracle suggested for installing 8i. Here's the spec on my PC:

Pentium 166 Mhz MMX
96 Mb of Memory
2 Gb of Disk Space
128 Mb of Swap

Do you think I could get away with the installation with this kind of specs? Did you have to download Java to start the installation? If so could you suggest where I could download it. One more thing, Did you have to make any kernel changes to the semaphores? Thanks. Received on Tue Aug 29 2000 - 08:23:52 CDT