Re: installed Oracle 8i on linux box-how do I start it with X-windows?

From: Ralf Zwanziger <goldensurfer_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:07:07 GMT

>I use the server manager (svrmgrl) in the bin-directory of the Oracle-
>installation.

since 8.1.5, svrmgrl and sqlplus are nearly identical, this means: anything you can do with svrmgrl, you can do with sqlplus as well.

>Set the ORACLE_SID correctly, start the svrmgrl from an xterm and then:
in our installation we always go the following way:

- create a user "oracle" with primary group "dba"
- start the installation using this user
- after installing, set ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_BASE and
  ORACLE_HOME in the profile of the oracle-user - after that, you can always switch to the oracle   user (su - oracle) and have the full environment   with all variables and path set correctly; that   means, e.g., you don't have to think about where the   sqlplus binary is located.

>After quitting you can connect and work with your database (e.g. with
>plsql).

...assuming you ran all the required sql-scripts after installing and starting up the database.

Greetings,
Ralf Received on Tue Aug 29 2000 - 03:07:07 CDT