Problem Resolved, Here's what I did...

From: Gary M. Gealy <gsquared_at_home.com>
Date: 2000/05/26

For those interested here is what I did to resolve this problem. First, there was the suggestion of using the Server Manager, but I do not have this installed on my system and the box I am using is stand-alone. What I had to do is as follows:

Start Oracle
Start SQLPlus
Disconnect
Connect as sys/oracle as sysdba