Oracle-JDBC Date handling and manipulation

From: BARRIE TAYLOR <s176226_at_student.uq.edu.au>
Date: 2000/05/06

saw a discussion the other week re. handling oracle dates. Oracle provides some simple tools for manipulation dates, see below.

My main problem at the moment is manipulating date properly between Oracle/Servlet, currently using the class12.zip jdbc driver from Oracle with the following connection string and typical select statements.

DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());

                m_connection = DriverManager.getConnection(

"jdbc:oracle:thin:@my.path.to.my.server:1521:fred",info);

where 1521 is Oracle listener port number, fred is the name of my tablespace and info is

 	Properties info = new Properties();
	info.put("user","myusername");
 	info.put("password","mypassword");

ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("select * from temp"); String myattribname = rs.getString("myattribname");

now this is where I am having problems. I can select/insert/update Strings no problem. I have some data in date/number format in Oracle and I know the JDBC drivers support non-String formats but havnt found sample code yet to demonstrate.

Any suggestions/sample code would be appreciated. I'm currently looking at buying the Or'Reilly book on JDBC, any reviews/comments or other reccommendations would be appreciated.

Mat.

#######################

Oracle date tools

to get todays date
select sysdate from dual;

and to get date of a week from today,

select sysdate+7 from dual;

(ie add seven days)

and here are a few others

select sysdate from dual;
select sysdate+7 from dual;
select add_months(sysdate,1) from dual;
select add_months(sysdate,2) from dual;
select last_day(sysdate) from dual;
select months_between(sysdate, add_months(sysdate,6)) from dual; select next_day(sysdate, 'Mon') from dual; select next_day(sysdate, 'Wed') from dual; select round(sysdate, 'Month') from dual; select round(sysdate, 'Year') from dual;

these were taken from examples provided in the oracle on-line manual, refer http://your-path/database.804/a58225/ch3all.htm#999799 Received on Sat May 06 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT