Re: Oracle 8i CDROM license

From: Stephen Harris <sweh_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk>
Date: 2000/04/16

Kenneth Porter (shiva_at_well.com) wrote:
: I got an Oracle 8i for Red Hat CDROM in the mail but I couldn't find a
: license on the CD. What's the catch? I don't want to install this only to
: find that it can't do anything for me.

Standard Oracle Technology Network license (ie the same as if you downloaded it from Oracle). Single user development only license. You can use it to teach yourself Oracle, to develop your own applications etc, but only you can use it. If you plan on using it in a production environment (eg sell to a customer, use on your personal web site) then you need to buy a commercial use license.

IMHO,it's a shame. Oracle is an excellent database, and well worth learning about (unlike the rest of the stuff, like Oracle Web Server which is totally shit). Unfortunately a lot of the people who would be best placed to take advantage of the OTN license won't be able to afford commercial use, and for that reason only I would recommend home-grown web sites to use a freeware database instead.

--
                                 Stephen Harris
                 sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk   http://www.spuddy.org/