Re: Oracle 8i CDROM license

From: Kenneth Porter <shiva_at_well.com>
Date: 2000/04/18

sweh_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk (Stephen Harris) wrote in <Ft3vpx.F4A_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk>:

>Standard Oracle Technology Network license (ie the same as if you
>downloaded it from Oracle). Single user development only license. You
>can use it to teach yourself Oracle, to develop your own applications
>etc, but only you can use it. If you plan on using it in a production
>environment (eg sell to a customer, use on your personal web site) then
>you need to buy a commercial use license.

I kinda expected that. Any idea what that costs? If it's not too exorbitant, I might be willing to bite. I've got about a dozen users on a small peer-to-peer Paradox system on NT, and the main advantage I can see with Oracle would be the security improvements in going to a client-server architecture. There's also the greater robustness of a "grown-up" DB.

I suppose an alternative would be to write a CORBA-based system and put a single Paradox engine on what is now the file server to do all the real work. Received on Tue Apr 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT