Re: Flushing the dbms_output.put_line Buffer...

From: Stephan Born <stephan.born_at_beusen.de>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 13:11:19 +0200

> Hi
>
> I'm using a CURSOR FOR loop in an anonymous block to perform some
> fiddly updates to a table. I'm keeping count of the number of
> iterations of the loop in a PLS_INTEGER variable.
>
> I'd like to use dbms_output.put_line to give me a loop count every 1000
> rows. However, I don't see any output until the whole process finishes.
> That is to say, the output buffer is not flushed until the block exits.
>
> I've tried putting the dbms_output statement inside its own BEGIN & END
> block, but this has no apparent effect.
> I've also tried toggling dbms_output.enable/disable. (According to my
> Steve Feurstein book, dbms_output.disable should force a flush...) but
> this seems not to work either.
>
> Has anyone found a solution?

No, there is no way to flush the buffer of dbms_output before the stored-procedure returns to the application.... at least not in Ora7....

But it is possible to use the DBMS_PIPE-package..... for that you have to use a seperate session for reading from the pipe.

Regards, Stephan

--

Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Stephan Born   | beusen Consulting GmbH
fon: +49 30 549932-0           | Landsberger Allee 392