Re: cost-based optimizer and column order to determine inner or outer table?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:06:14 +0200

Both optimizers try to the determine the driving table, ie the table with the most selective criteria.
If that doesn't work out, the rule based optimizer reads from right to lef, sequentially.
The cost based optimizer from left to right. So you can 'influence' the optimizer by having the tables in the correct order in the from clause.
In the cost based optimizer this behavior can be forced by using the /*+ORDERED */ hint.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

PS You'll just have consumed your quota for today :)