cost-based optimizer and column order to determine inner or outer table?

From: David Spaisman <davedba_at_intercall.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:40:07 GMT

Hello:

I would like to get a better understanding of how the the cost-based optimizer determines the inner table and the outer table in Oracle 8 or Oracle 8i. I have seen some conflicting explanations that the coice is based upon the left or right-most listed table in the from clause. The rule based optimzerchooses riht to left or is that the cost-based optimzer?

Can any one provide an explanation of how the optimizer chooses the left or right most table in the from clause as the inner table or outer table?

Any information you can provide will be greatly apreciated. Thanks.

David Spaisman Received on Sun Mar 26 2000 - 17:40:07 CST