public/ private synonyms?

From: David Spaisman <davedba_at_intercall.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:55:20 GMT

Hello:

 We are going to reengineering one or more sl server applications from mssql 6.5 to Oracle 8.05 or Oracle 8i.

One item that the developers have ben discussing is whether it is better to use public or private synonyms. I suggested public synonyms with the synonym name being the table table but the create public synonym statement will be based on schema.table_name. The concern raised was whether or not there will be a problem if there are several instances/databases on the one box for the same application with the same synonym name for the table name being based on diifferent schema but the same table name: create public synonym tablea as schemaa.tablea, create public synonym tablea as schemab.tablea, etc. The objective here is to have one or more databases -- development database 1, development database 2 and user acceptance database 3 -- with the same table name.

  1. Has anyone encountered this situation and how was it handled? Public or private synonyms?
  2. Any suggestions?

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

David Spaisman Received on Sun Mar 26 2000 - 17:55:20 CST