Re: public/ private synonyms?

From: K Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:46:59 -0500

David Spaisman wrote:

> Hello:
>
> We are going to reengineering one or more sl server applications from
> mssql 6.5 to Oracle 8.05 or Oracle 8i.
>
> One item that the developers have ben discussing is whether it is better
> to use public or private synonyms. I suggested public synonyms with the
> synonym name being the table table but the create public synonym
> statement will be based on schema.table_name. The concern raised was
> whether or not there will be a problem if there are several
> instances/databases on the one box for the same application with the
> same synonym name for the table name being based on diifferent schema
> but the same table name: create public synonym tablea as schemaa.tablea,
> create public synonym tablea as schemab.tablea, etc. The objective here
> is to have one or more databases -- development database 1, development
> database 2 and user acceptance database 3 -- with the same table name.
>
> 1) Has anyone encountered this situation and how was it handled? Public
> or private synonyms?
>
> 2) Any suggestions?
>
> Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
>
> David Spaisman

If they are in different instances then there is no way that they could be confused. If you have the same table under different schemas within the same instance then you will have to come up with a naming convention for the synonyms which differentiates between the different versions. Received on Tue Mar 28 2000 - 06:46:59 CST