Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Tim Uckun <Malcontent_at_msgto.com>
Date: 2000/03/22

> Look at TPC-C and then tell me how Oracle and Sun are in the same
> ballpark for peformance/cost. I already stated above the fact that

Yes unfortunately they are not able subsidize the cost of their software with a monopoly.

> Havent you heard of MSDE? MSDE and Jet are free and can scale you up
> to 2GB which is good enough for most small businesses. Personally I do

Microsofts own documentation about the MSDE states that they don't recommend over 5 users on it. A quick perusing of comp.databases.ms-access should convince you that nobody not even the most ardent supporter of access would recommend that you keep a 2 gig database in access. I have used access heavily since version 1.0 and it can not compare to a dedicated engine.

> not see a squeeze from top and bottom I see a push. Lets not forget
> SQL Server will run on CE as well. SQL Server should be suitable for

CE is pretty much a dead platform. Ms is giving it away hoping somebody uses it instead of psion or palm. There was a recent zdnet article stating they were charging a buck for it. Either way I just don't see a need for a SQL server on the CE I guess. Other databases have much smaller memory footprints and still support replication. Like I said Interbase is free and sqlanywhere costs less then SQL server. They will both run on CE. Of non Windows PDA you have more choices too.

> 95% of all new applications that are not forced to a particular
> platform. Some of those 5% Oracle wouldnt be able to do either. As I
> keep saying just wait till the end of this year and we will see where
> it all stands.

I could say the same about any database. Postgresql is good enough for 95% of all applications and even some specialized ones like GIS. It's object relational, has thin clients, is free and easy to use and administer. The same with interbase. The question is for the 95% of all businesses for whom interbase or postgres is good enough does NT/SQL server provide a compelling enough reason to spend money. Pretty soon you will start to see prepackaged plug and play database appliences using linux or BSD.

Of course as you say time will tell but I think a tide is turning. If the slow adaptation of windows 2000 is an indicator MS will not be able to dominate the databse server market anytime soon. Last I checked IBM and Oracle had each abotu 30% of the market. MS had 10% and everybody else was fighting over the remaining 30%. It will take some serious doing on MS part to take another 10% but they could do it if they gave it away for free like they did with IE. Received on Wed Mar 22 2000 - 00:00:00 CST