Re: You have my sympathies

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:17:24 GMT

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:45:04 -0800, Hello <Hello_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>It has tought me to be a little tougher in my position tho....I am not afraid to
>tell a developer that their stuff doesn't work, no matter how may times they
>come over trying to convince me it does....(I test VERY thoroughly now :-)).

What really works for me is:

<Bulshit Artist>: Why can't I code it this way.

<Silly moiself>: Because it won't work without some major changes to everything else/Because it will kill the system/Because it won't do what you were asked to do. (Multiple choice). You should really be coding it this way: <explanation follows>.

<BA>: I think you are wrong. I'm gonna do it my way.

<SM>: Fine by me. Just don't ask me to sign it off. Sign it yourself and mention why you didn't take my advice.

<BA>: Do I have to sign for it?

<SM>: Well, I won't. So that leaves you to do it.

<BA>: ......(pregnant pause)...... OK, I'll try it your way!

<SM>: Fine by me. Come back when it's done and we'll have another look at it both of us.

Works every time. :-)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam