Re: creating rollback segment

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/02/17

They need to be in any tablespace other than SYSTEM, usually a separate tablespace, conventionally called RBS.
There needs to be one rollback segment per 4 users, with a minimum of 4. Then, my rule of thumb is:
have 128M available for rollback segments make 4 rollback segments, initial extent 1 M next extent 1 M start with 4 extents and make sure they reach 32 M max) (Ie in my setup one rollbacksegment can't spoil it for the others) I always have a relatively small maintenance rollback segment, usually called rbstemp in the system tablespace. This make sure when the tablespace goes gaga, I can at least do something.
Finally, I always use private rollback segments, as the init.ora allows me to choose which rollback segments are available (this is in order to make sure the maintenance segment is online in special cases only).

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA