Re: Platform Decision: NT or Solaris

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/02/10

Joel Horner wrote:

> I have a dilemma. I'm working with an organization that is trying to decide
> its long-term strategy for data access. Their current thinking is that they
> will use Windows NT accross all their systems, and thus lower their
> administration costs (by hiring only NT people). They will be implementing
> a rather large set of tables (terabytes) over a period of time. In working
> with their metaphor of NT everywhere, they want to use Oracle 8i on NT.
>
> I've worked with NT for years (since the first version), and have found it
> to be risky in "high availability" environments. I've seen too many
> blue-screens that just appeared to happen for no reason (on servers that had
> been up for a long time). This leads me to my question: Which environment
> is best suited for a high-availability Oracle installation, NT 4.0, or Sun
> Solaris? Any help that is factual (emotions can't sell this one) are
> appreciated!
>
> When Oracle was asked this question, the reply was that either environment
> would be fine. I would expect them to say this, since they are selling the
> product on both platforms. They also said, however, that they didn't have
> any benchmarks comparing 8i on NT verses Solaris. I find that VERY
> difficult to swallow.
>
> Having said that, practical experience will be much better. :-)
>
> Thanks!
> Joel

Putting aside platform issues for a second, employing NT experts to run Oracle is like putting a blind man behind the wheel of a car. You'll get much more performance from an "Oracle expert, NT novice" than vice-versa.

HTH

Connor McDonald
connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com
There are 3,434,679 oracle websites around the world.
Now there is one more... http://www.oracledba.co.uk