Re: RedHat_6_1 + Oracle_8_0_5 = ZERO!

From: Dean Pokotylo <chef_at_kaos.storm.ca>
Date: 2000/02/10

Actually, I do. I work in most of the flavours of Unix/Linux (and NT/9x too). I do the installations, patches, configurations of the O/Ss and Oracle software.

If you know anything about Linux, you would realize that GNU (Got No Unix) is attractive due to licensing costs and software costs. Now that big blue has officially picked up Linux for development (last friday), the fears of it being a 'Toy', as perceived by some of the 'suits', will be changed when the corporate fashion swings away from MS.

Have you any idea how much a MS license costs (approx. $3500 Cdn for 10 users), or a Solaris (approx. $2000 Cdn for 250 users (note: could be wrong with the numbers here for Sun)), HP-UX, AIX, ...??? Then can you say 'free' for Linux (ftp it from a mirror site, unless you buy the flavour of the shelf or pick up a burned CD). Like all other software, you pay for applications. But the O/S is free.

Can you go into the MS kernel and change the source if you know what you are doing (not with MS, legalities). You can with Linux if you install the kernel development option with the compilers, then tweak away. Or make suggestions to the kernel hacks (on the news groups or sites) with ideas or suggestions for the solutions to your problem. To be done for the next kernel development (release, or minor patch).

When was the last time you had MS running more than 1 or 2 weeks with out MS gernading itself? I have had and used Linux for over the past 4 years (longer for Unix), and had or used Oracle databases and servers running with no unintentional (not O/S problems but hardware) downtime for over 18 months at a stretch (some longer, a couple shorter and not by much).

In a nutshell, all I am trying to say is learn from your experience, ask questions and help others. If you know the answer for someone's situation, then offer you advice or experience (with solutions that worked for you) to them. I still raise my friends, co-workers, and or old classmates for insight. Sometimes they call me for help or input. How often do you burn the midnight oil searching for solutions, learning the new O/S & software or trying something out on a hunch (because you can't at work or during work)?

As for Oracle's advice and or information. They too may not have experienced or know the answers to everything (though they try and very good at what they do, give them credit). If Oracle doesn't have the information you need, have you considered that maybe that it hasn't been done before (just released O/S (Mandrake 7.0) or service packs/patches (6 or 6a, who remembers this one??? the fifteenth question and for a virtual million dollars. With all of your life lines are gone...), with just released latest Oracle i.e.. (8.1.6))? Another thing, are you a licensed Oracle site or partner?

dean
(i need the coffee, a cup is just too small...)

P.S. Casey, are you trying for a default install? And yes I have successfully installed 8.0.5 on Redhat 6.1 (and Mandrake 6x to 7x as well).

P.S.S. Mayer, you're right Linux is not Unix (GNU), and 6.1 <> 6.0, because 6.1

> 6.0 . All Casey is looking for is some insight and help.
If I sound (in this case read) a little bit peeved, sorry. If your in my neck of the woods, I'll buy the first round at beer call.

P.S.S.S. Any of you head hunters looking for a Junior Oracle DBA/Developer Programmer? Feel free to drop my a line. dp

MMayer3077 wrote:

> Like Deano Man. Like you should listen to what ORACLE recommends because
> it's very hard to get information out of them.
> Linux ain't Unix. Verison 6.1 RH ain't 6.0.
> Do you have any idea what a kernal is?

Dean "Rainman" Pokotylo                                           email:
chef_at_kaos.storm.ca

"If things are coming together faster than they are coming apart, then you are
having
a good day."
David A. (Dag) Grey

"The problem with political jokes is that sometimes they get elected."
Common Problem