Re: oracle 8i lite

From: Carolyn Jane Gillis <cjgillis_at_chorus.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 20:46:21 -0600

In article <3888d722_at_news.nwlink.com>, jrough_at_nanospace.com wrote:
>In article <3888C714.BA60C844_at_nanospace.com>, jrough_at_nanospace.com
>wrote:
>
>> I have a 604e Mac and would like to install Oracle lite on it.
>> The only solution is to also install some type of unixOS. I would like the
>> installation to be as painless as possible. I have HFS+ file system on
>> my Mac with system 8.5.1. MachTen sounds like an ideal solution except
>> for the price. I heard about a subset version of linux you could use
>> without reformatting your mac but I haven't been able to locate where I
>> read that. My hard drive is divided into 3 partions of a little over a
>> gig each. It would be nice to not have to reformat my hard drive.

Which comes to the crux of the matter. Why isn't Oracle 8i available for the Mac OS? Why isn't Oracle supporting Apple Mac G4 supercomputers? Will there ever be another version of Oracle for the Macintosh again? What's the point of MacOS X, which is based in part on the BSD 4.4 flavor of Unix, if it can't run Oracle?

Why do we have to put up with Linux, a pseudo-1980's operating system, in order to use Oracle on our Macs? It's a giant step backward.

When I was studying Oracle's (B,C)LOB column formats, I kept thinking how they could be used in the Advertising industry, for filing photographs, graphics, and ad copy. Publishing could use them for storing articles and chapters of novels.

The music industry could use them for storing sounds and mucic scores. The motion picture industry could use them for all of the thousands of frames that go to make up a movie.

What are Apple's primary business customers using for their database management systems? 4th Dimension with Oracle-access plugins? WebObjects? Filemaker Pro? FMP seems to me to be less "relational" and intuitive than MS Access (shudder).

CJGillis, Madison, WI

--
CJ Gillis Received on Thu Feb 03 2000 - 20:46:21 CST