Re: export / import

From: GHouck <hksys_at_teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 18:12:07 -0800

Graeme Farmer wrote:

> Is it possible to export/import (for re-org) data only leaving the indexes
> intact? When you drop a table it also drops any indexes associated with it
> so would I be correct in assuming that you perform the export, truncate the
> tables then import the data or does the truncate command also kill the
> indexes. I don't have enough of a window at the weekend to export/import
> both data and rebuild of indexes.
>
> Thanks
> Graeme.

My experience has been that for many tables, it is much faster to drop the indexes, do the import, then rebuild the indexes; otherwise, the import can take an inordinate amount of time (at least as much, because it is stuffing data into a table with an index(es), so it rebuilds it on the fly (less efficiently, I would guess)).

Yours,

Geoff Houck
systems hk
hksys_at_teleport.com