Re: Which RDMS is best?

From: Loki <base_at_alpha.freya.vinland.rad.mgh.mcgill.ca>
Date: 2000/01/26

In comp.database mars1972_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>> Any other products I should look into?
>>
>> Oracle
>> DB2
>> SyBase ASE (SQL Server)
>> Informix
>> InterBase
>> Ingres II
>> UniSQL
>> PostgreSQL

> It's difficult to be unbiased, but here's what I think. I also don't
> really know anything about most of these, so I'll just comment on the
> ones I've had some experience with.

> Oracle -
> Depending on the size of the database, it may be a good idea.
> However, it doesn't seem to handle joins well. Also, for a small to
> meduim size data set, it is cost prohibitive. It doesn't deliver any
> more for small or meduim sized data sets than the competition, so it
> isn't worth the extra money.

> Informix -
> Informix works very well for small to meduim sized databases, but
> doesn't seem to be able to keep up with Oracle on large to huge sized
> data sets. In it's arena, it performs extremely well. It lacks some of
> the security features that Oracle has.

> I'm defining large data sets to start around 50 GB. That limit may
> actually be higher, but that's the largest Informix database I've worked
> on.

> You might want to check Progress. I haven't used it at all, but I've
> heard some good things about it.

Thanks for the info.

My assumptions are that the dataset will grow to no more than 25GB at this time, with the current fields (there is a proposal to revamp the system to add additional tables storing additional data), but for that 25GB, there will be many many records, (the records themselves are quite small, but we have alot of them)

Our current setup is happy with 3GB, but as I said, it is anticipated to grow to somewhere over 20GB, no more than 25GB Received on Wed Jan 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CST