Re: Which RDMS is best?

From: QueriX 4GL / Mehdi <mehdi_at_querix.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:36:30 +0000

Loki wrote:

> [ This is a repost of the following article: ]
> [ From: Loki <base_at_alpha.freya.vinland.rad.mgh.mcgill.ca> ]
> [ Subject: Which RDMS is best? ]
> [ Newsgroups: comp.databases ]
>
> Hello all,
>
> can someone point out the best RDBMS?
> currently using mSQL, which is definitely not sufficient (no transaction
> logging, for instance)
> we have a few beta test developmental systems running Linux/SyBase 11.0.3.3
>
> I was wondering if someone could point out the relative merits of various
> RDBMS's?
>
> I need a system
> that uses SQL
> that can potentially be distributed
> that can be replicated
> that should be somewhat fault tolerant (or recoverable anyways)
> that will support many additions and deletions of records in tables
> that will support many accesses to read and search
> that can support many simultaneous users
> that can support many records
> that is quick (a reason for using mSQL is that it's quick)
> that preferably will run under Linux
> that has a PERL DBI module written for it
> would be nice if
> it would be able to failover
> have transparent access to data stored over several servers
>
> We're currently looking into SyBase (primarily because it's available on
> Linux, and it is free, but we will also be looking into Oracle soon)
>
> I've noticed that InterBase seems to support the largest databases, that
> Oracle and DB2 have the largest market share, that Informix and Sybase are
> the only other two even on the map. But PostgreSQL is also around. Ingres
> II seems to have many nice features (replication, shadowing built in to
> the product, as well as what appears to be transaction management for
> distributed databases) but it is still in Beta for Linux.
>
> Anyone with an opinion?
>
> Any other products I should look into?
>
> Oracle
> DB2
> SyBase ASE (SQL Server)
> Informix
> InterBase
> Ingres II
> UniSQL
> PostgreSQL
>
> Obviously Postgres (PostQUEL based) and Ingres (QUEL based) are out of the
> question, because they do not support SQL. And mSQL, MySQL are
> disqualified because they do not have the fault tolerance we need, which
> goes doubly so for using DBM. ISAM based systems would not be a good idea
> either.
>
> --
>
> my email address is incorrect, please look at the X-De line in the header
> (De - French for FROM)

Maybe you could post the result of your findings once you have come to a conclusion, it would be
interesting and may be impartial.
--
Compliments of QueriX

QueriX 4GL Compilers are Informix 4GL Compatible, and Connection to other RDBMS such as Oracle.

Hydra 4GL Compiler (Compatible with I4GL) Compile once, run everywhere Phoenix Windows GUI. (Front End to 4GL) Chimera Java GUI The only GUI you will ever need... (Front End to 4GL) Arachne Web Technology (Front End to 4GL on the Web)

For more details visit: http://www.querix.com/