Re: OAS VS WEBDB

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 14:05:56 GMT

For a simple comparison, I like to equate OAS to a web server like Apache and webDB to Microsoft's FrontPage. Like Apache, OAS is a full fledged web server. There is lots of power with it. But with the power comes the complexity. And OAS & Apache do not help you compose web pages.

WebDB has tools that quickly let you develop a web site. Microsoft FrontPage does the same thing. Both WebDB and Microsoft FrontPage also contain web listeners so that you can serve the web pages that you create. But these web listeners are not that complex and not very scalable.

If you want to quickly develop a web site and get it up and running, use WebDB. If you want to leverage the complex power that can be sent over the web, use OAS. If you will have very high activity and want a web server that can handle high traffic, use OAS.

To summarize:

  WebDB:   pros - simple, quick                cons - not very scalable
  OAS:     pros - scalable, handle complexity  cons - complex

That's just a simple comparison.

HTH,
Brian