Re: Auto Increment Primary key?

From: Doug O'Leary <dkoleary_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:14:53 -0600

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9912171604300.29563- 100000_at_alfred.laffeycomputer.com>, shaft_at_meanmutha.com says...

Unfortunately, I can only give you a pointer in the right direction as I'm just learning all this stuff myself. Oracle has something called a sequences. My old Oracle dba handbook (ver 7.3) describes sequences as:

"Sequences are used to simplify programming efforts by providing a sequential list of unique numbers. The first time a sequence is called by a query, it returns a predetermined value. Each subsequent query will yield a value that is increased by its specified increment."

The sqlldr script also supports sequences. Exact syntax is, unfortunately, left as an exercise for the reader (and writer...)

Doug

--

Douglas K. O'Leary
Senior System Admin