Re: MS SQL vs. ORACLE

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:41:31 GMT

Ah, Kevin strikes again...
I share Alex's amazement that it took 16 hours to install 8.0.5 - unless he was trying to install over a 28.8 remote access terminal, that time is extremely long -
Perhaps he meant that installation, data loading, initial tuning and backup took 16 hours...

On average, an Oracle instance can be installed on a new server in less than an hour...then the fun starts...

John Greco
Oracle DBA/Application Developer
( 7.3.4 ,8.0.x on Netware, 8.1.5 on NT, 8.0.x on Linux)

alex_at_alenda.NOSPAM!.freeserve.co.uk (Alex Hudghton) wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:38:05 -0700, "kevin moriarty"
><schmerd_at_primenet.com> wrote:
>
>>Is this a school project, a career choice, work related task?
>>

>>For a brand new user:
>>Installation:
>>MS SQL Server 7.0 install 1.5 hours
>>Oracle 8.0.5 install 16 hours
>
>16 hours ? - You are a developer and I claim my 50 pounds ! Does the
>install include a 1TB database ? - otherwise it takes about and hour
>and a half - generally depends on the speed of the system
>>
>>?Tools for a normal user? (development tools?)
>>Sequel server: access,vb, visual interdev
>>oracle: developer, jdeveloper, webdb
>sqlplus pl/sql - are they not tools ?
>>

>>Time to learn (tuffy)
>>sequel server:
>>back end ( sql, tsql) 160 hours
>>front end (vb: 400 hours, access: 100 hours, interdev: 100 hours)
>>
>>oracle:
>>back end (sql, pl/sql) 160 hours
>>front end (developer: ? 300 hours, jdeveloper: 160 hours, webdb 60 hours)
>Subjective -0 time to learn to what standard - anything from 100 hours
>to years
>>
>>these estimates are rough and assume minimal proficiency.
>>master-detail forms,...
>>
>>long term skill aquisition for oracle is x5 timewise
>>development time for oracle is x3
>>
>>my experience is: oracle support and documentation leaves much to be
>>desired.
>Again maybe for development problems but not for DBA issues
>>
>>everyone and their uncle knows something about sql server
>As you may have guessed I know nothing about sql server and have no
>desire to :-))
>

>>you can get fully functional versions of oracle software for free
>>http://technet.oracle.com/products/index.htm#itools
>>
>>then goto software.
>True - does Microsoft do the same ? (Valid question )
>

>Alex
>

>>Clinique <clinique_at_gmx.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi there,
>>> I would like to compare MS SQL Server 7.0 and Oracle Server 8.0.5.
>>> I'd be very happy if those of you who have experience with both of these
>>> RDBMS could tell me what exactly makes the difference.
>>> The criteria I'm going to compare are:
>>> handling
>>> look&feel
>>> time to learn