Re: MS SQL vs. ORACLE

From: Alex Hudghton <alex_at_alenda.NOSPAM!.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:35:36 GMT

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:38:05 -0700, "kevin moriarty" <schmerd_at_primenet.com> wrote:

>Is this a school project, a career choice, work related task?
>

>For a brand new user:
>Installation:
>MS SQL Server 7.0 install 1.5 hours
>Oracle 8.0.5 install 16 hours

16 hours ? - You are a developer and I claim my 50 pounds ! Does the install include a 1TB database ? - otherwise it takes about and hour and a half - generally depends on the speed of the system

>?Tools for a normal user? (development tools?)
>Sequel server: access,vb, visual interdev
>oracle: developer, jdeveloper, webdb

sqlplus pl/sql - are they not tools ?

>Time to learn (tuffy)
>sequel server:
>back end ( sql, tsql) 160 hours
>front end (vb: 400 hours, access: 100 hours, interdev: 100 hours)
>
>oracle:
>back end (sql, pl/sql) 160 hours
>front end (developer: ? 300 hours, jdeveloper: 160 hours, webdb 60 hours)
Subjective -0 time to learn to what standard - anything from 100 hours to years

>these estimates are rough and assume minimal proficiency.
>master-detail forms,...
>
>long term skill aquisition for oracle is x5 timewise
>development time for oracle is x3
>
>my experience is: oracle support and documentation leaves much to be
>desired.

Again maybe for development problems but not for DBA issues

>everyone and their uncle knows something about sql server
As you may have guessed I know nothing about sql server and have no desire to :-))

>you can get fully functional versions of oracle software for free
>http://technet.oracle.com/products/index.htm#itools
>
>then goto software.

True - does Microsoft do the same ? (Valid question )

Alex