Re: MS SQL vs. ORACLE

From: kevin moriarty <schmerd_at_primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:38:05 -0700

Is this a school project, a career choice, work related task?

For a brand new user:
Installation:
MS SQL Server 7.0 install 1.5 hours
Oracle 8.0.5 install 16 hours

?Tools for a normal user? (development tools?) Sequel server: access,vb, visual interdev oracle: developer, jdeveloper, webdb

Time to learn (tuffy)
sequel server:
back end ( sql, tsql) 160 hours
front end (vb: 400 hours, access: 100 hours, interdev: 100 hours)

oracle:
back end (sql, pl/sql) 160 hours
front end (developer: ? 300 hours, jdeveloper: 160 hours, webdb 60 hours)

these estimates are rough and assume minimal proficiency. master-detail forms,...

long term skill aquisition for oracle is x5 timewise development time for oracle is x3

my experience is: oracle support and documentation leaves much to be desired.

everyone and their uncle knows something about sql server

you can get fully functional versions of oracle software for free http://technet.oracle.com/products/index.htm#itools

then goto software.