Re: Very New to ORACLE

From: Tarek Zeineddine <garfield_at_cyberia.net.lb>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:02:18 GMT

I meant physical warehouses...

Anyway, i was thinking, abotu the design for a couple of days now.... Basically my company wants to have data separated for each fiscal year. In other words, a table for year 1998, another for 1999 etc.... So my first thought was to create tables named COMPANY_1998_TABLE1, COMPANY_1998_TABLE2, etc... and then according to the year the user chooses at logon, i assign aliases to these tables for example COMPANY_98_TABLE1 becomes TABLE1, and in my application i do my SQL based on the aliases....is this feaseable? is it a good approach? should i convince my company that there is not need ot separate the data?! I am no financial wizard, and when they tell me that the data should be separated in order to be able to close the fiscal year, i have no arguments against that...

Tarek