Dynamic SQL "for update"

From: Michael Norton <mike.norton_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 05:52:53 GMT

I'm using PL/SQL in Oracle8i and I'm trying to build a generic procedure that can be used with many table, doing different updates. I'd like to be able to build the cursor dynamically using the dbms_sql package, and update the table using a "where current of" statement.

Since the cursor is not named, I've got nothing to pass to "where current of". If I try a reference cursor it will not allow me to select "for update".

Does anyone have any ideas? The closest thing I can come up with is to have a program write the entire update procedure at run time and call that. Received on Tue Oct 26 1999 - 00:52:53 CDT