Re: Which Version?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:06:01 GMT

Oracle Personal Edition is for one workstation. It lets you have a database on your workstation that you can access. But it doesn't work (or work well) for more than one user.

Oracle Lite is for small computers like Palm pilots. It's a scaled down version that fits into a small footprint. This is ideal for someone in the "field" who needs a database. They come back to the office and move data to there bigger database. For instance, someone from the gas company can come by your house and read your meter. She can put your meter reading into her Oracle Lite database. When she gets back to the office, she can download the data to the company's bigger database system.

I doubt that these are the products you want to use. But I don't know exactly how you want to use an Oracle database. Since the application was written for MS SQL Server, you'll probably want Oracle Server or Oracle Enterprise Edition. Enterprise Edition is a bigger version of the Server product. Which one you'll need can probably be best determined by an Oracle sales person. With Oracle Server residing on your company's server, you'll just need to install the client products so that your developers can connect to the database.

HTH,
Brian