Re: Invalid objects

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:57:44 GMT

An object can become invalid when underlying objects get dropped. For instance, if I have a view that accesses table1 and I drop table1, the view becomes invalid. This makes sense. How can the view be valid when the underlying table no longer exists? Similar arguments for procedures, pkgs, etc. Sybrand also illustrates good reasons why objects become invalid so I won't duplicate his efforts. If the underlying objects are all valid, recompile the invalid objects and they'll work fine. If the underlying objects are invalid (or don't exist), then you application won't be able to use the invalid object.

HTH,
Brian