Oracle 8 JDBC "Exhausted Resultset" exception

From: Pierre-Yves Gibello <Pierre-Yves.Gibello_at_inrialpes.fr>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:04:45 +0200

Something strange in Oracle 8 JDBC drivers ??

In a servlet application, a weird "Exhausted Resultset" exception sometimes appears - particularly if intensive "reload" are performed on the HTTP URL that invokes the servlet.

The application opens one JDBC connection per remote user session ("reload" implies the same DB connection is used to run the SQL query).

Note that every query is issued on a new Statement + ResultSet, and both the Statement and ResultSet are closed after use.

This means: the SAME query is issued multiple times in parallel by different threads on the same Connection, but multiple statements are opened (one per query).

Exception stack follows:

java.sql.SQLException: Exhausted Resultset: prepare_for_new_get

        at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Exception.java:42)
        at java.sql.SQLException.<init>(SQLException.java:82)
        at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java)
        at

oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.prepare_for_new_get(Compiled Code)

        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.getStringValue(Compiled Code)

        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleResultSet.getString(Compiled Code)

Can it be related to some JDK / JDBC driver uncompatibility ?

I read some people had the problem when executing a stored procedure in a multi-threaded environment, others say the problem disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared... I guess there's a transient bug somewhere...

Sorry I can't give more details, the bug has been reported to me by a user of my product (the ExperShop shopping cart software) and I'm unable to reproduce it myself...

Regards,
 Pierre-Yves Gibello :) Received on Sun Aug 29 1999 - 06:04:45 CDT