Re: Oracle 8i Installer *unbelievably* slow

From: Damond Walker <dwalker_at_iximd.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:57:45 GMT

Brad Aisa wrote in message <379B1E85.8A282925_at_istar.ca>...
>I have just finished doing some installs of Oracle 8i client for
>Windows. On my (not too old) Dell Optiplex PC running Win95 with 32M of
>RAM, it took over two hours to complete the install of Oracle 8i client
>(including documentation).

    Try to install it on a 32meg NT box and watch what happens. It isn't pretty. :) You can blame the whole mess on a Java I think. It just does not like 32 meg machines for real applications (in this case, the Oracle installer).

    I did manage to install the Oracle8i client on a 266mhz Pentium laptop running VMWare (which allows me to run Windows 95 under Linux quite nicely). The emulated Win95 machine had 32 megs to play with and the install did take about an hour. A whole lot of disk thrashing took place though... Received on Mon Jul 26 1999 - 07:57:45 CDT