Oracle 8i Installer *unbelievably* slow

From: Brad Aisa <baisa_at_istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:26:13 -0400

I have just finished doing some installs of Oracle 8i client for Windows. On my (not too old) Dell Optiplex PC running Win95 with 32M of RAM, it took over two hours to complete the install of Oracle 8i client (including documentation). Running it on Compaq Windows NT workstations with 32M of RAM was almost impossible -- we had to copy the CD to a network share, and even then, each PC took over an hour just to install the basic client. Rerunning the install to add the ODBC client took over 1/2 hour again. This is the worst dog I think I've ever encountered! (I suspect the problem was that there was not enough memory -- but why in heaven's name should it take more than 32M to **install** some software -- sheesh!)

I can't imagine what a nightmare it must be to install the client on many PC's on a network...

Has this not been raised as an issue with Oracle? Are they doing anything about it?

I noted that Microsoft dramatically reduced the installation times for both the client and server in SQL Server 7.0...

--
Brad Aisa
baisa_at_NOSPAMistar.ca -- PGP public keys available at: http://keys.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup2?op=index&search=Brad+Aisa

"Laissez faire." Received on Sun Jul 25 1999 - 09:26:13 CDT