New ANSI SQL not available in Oracle?

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:54:10 GMT

I read this at a MS SQL server group. If the new syntax is faster, why is Oracle not adopting it?

Yong
yong321_at_yahoo.com

Subject: Re: The difference between left join and regular select

These are just two different ways to achieve the same result.

The second method is considered "old". Perhaps someday it will be abandoned. I believe Sybase and Oracle still only use this method.

The first one is the ANSI-SQL type, introduced in MS-SQL Server 6.5. It compiles faster and you should prefer it.

P.A.

fran wrote in message <7kuouj$a2v_at_nntpb.cb.lucent.com>...
>Should anybody tell me the difference between the left join and the
regular
>select clause, to me it seems give the same result:
>1.
> select a.col1,a.col2,b.col3,b.col4
> from table1 a
> inner join table2 b
> on a.item1=b.item2
>2.
> select a.col1,a.col2,b.col3,b.col4
> from table1 a,table2 b
> where a.item1=b.item2
>
>The above two will give the same result.
>Will anybody give me an explanation?
>
>Thanks in Advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jun 25 1999 - 10:54:10 CDT