Re: Oracle Synonyms & TableOwner Qualifier

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 23:18:38 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:35:24 +0800, you wrote:

>Thomas Kyte wrote:
>>

>Interestingly DB2 has this feature.....
>
>Given that roles are "sort of" like users (I know that this is
>stretching things a bit), what do you think the chances are of Oracle
>accepting this as an enhancement request ?

they accept any and all enhancement requests

however on this one, i doubt it would ever get enabled. the main reason is that you can have >1 role enabled simultaneously. from whence should a table be qualified?

there is an undocumented way to do this. alter session set current_schema = <schema name>;

I've filed an enhancement request to get this documented and supported. You should do the same. (the more people requesting -- the higher the probability of implementation)

basically, this feature (used by exp/imp so it is probably not going away) lets you change the 'effective' userid -- the userid by which things are qualified. if I log in as 'tkyte' and alter session set current_schema = scott, then select * from emp will really be select * from scott.emp *without* using synonyms (although scott.emp could be a synonym itself). It doesn't affect the priveleges you have -- just the way things are resolved.

--
See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'... Current article is "Fine Grained Access Control", added June 8'th

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sun Jun 20 1999 - 18:18:38 CDT