Re: Oracle Synonyms & TableOwner Qualifier

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:35:24 +0800

Thomas Kyte wrote:

> A copy of this was sent to "Hank Riehl" <hankr_at_skillview.com>
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:04:57 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Since every User belongs to one-and-only-one app-specific Role, can I create
> >private synonyms attached to the 8 Roles (whose privileges are granted to
> >our app's schema only)?
> >

> nope, roles cannot create synonyms. synonyms are either private to a schema (a
> user account) or public (globally visiable).
>
> >Many Thanks... Hank
> >

> >Peter Laursen wrote in message <01beb991$f8def3b0$2c289a0a_at_apollo>...
> >>You can create private synonyms instead of public.
> >>
> >>You must create private synonyms for every user - since you might not know
> >>every user beforehand you could make a procedure, that runs as the
> >>schemaowner, and that creates the private synonyms for the calling user.
> >>Remember the schemaowner must have the 'create any synonym' priv.
> >>
> >>Peter
> >>

> >>Hank Riehl <hankr_at_skillview.com> skrev i artiklen
> >><7kdbeg$7nv_at_news-central.tiac.net>...

> >>so

> >>them.

> >>all

> --
> See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
> Current article is "Fine Grained Access Control", added June 8'th
>
> Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Service Industries Reston, VA USA
>
> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation

Interestingly DB2 has this feature.....

Given that roles are "sort of" like users (I know that this is stretching things a bit), what do you think the chances are of Oracle accepting this as an enhancement request ? --

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Sun Jun 20 1999 - 08:35:24 CDT