Re: Are most DBA jobs on UNIX or Mainframe, not NT?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:59:57 -0400

Hi Vladan,

    I wouldn't worry about not having a later version of Oracle. 7.1.5, while not leading edge, will enable you to gain experience with all of the basics and many of the advanced features that you will find in the latest Oracle releases.

    From the perspective of the developer there is very little difference between Linux and Unix. There are several good books on Linux. the problem is that cover many different topics ranging from writing kernel code to writing simple "C" programs to using the various window managers to .... When I go looking for computer books I tend to use the publisher rather than the author or price as primary criteria. For example, I have found that any book published by O'Reilly and Associates is usually the best available on the subject (I expect to get flamed for this -- but that is MY experience). Check out the university library and you should be able to find some books, authors, and publishers that you find useful.

    Incidentally, although it is none of my damned business I would like to pass on some advice my father gave me when I started at the local university. He told me that if, after four years, the only thing I learned at the University was how to solve problems and how to find out the answers to my questions he would feel that money spent on my education would be money well spent.

After all, as you point out, at the university the versions of the software that you get to use are far from current and I suspect the equipment you will be using is even more out of date.

regards

Jerry Gitomer