Re: Are most DBA jobs on UNIX or Mainframe, not NT?

From: <rogersmith_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 14:02:30 GMT

In article <374A16B3.8AF1E054@_.agd.nsw.gov.au>,   Anthony Mandic <am@_.agd.nsw.gov.au> wrote:
> Bas Scheffers wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't trust 50 gig of 20 years worth of
financial data to NT,
> > would you?
>
> I don't think anyone would.
>
> > If you don't know any unix, it might be hard
to get work in a unix
> > enviroment. But 'enough unix for your resume'
is not that hard to get,
> > especialy if you'd work at a larger operation
with a (couple of) full
> > time unix admins. Just get a copy of linux and
a good book and you'll

> Linux may not be the best choice. I've
seen too many Linux users
> try and make the transition to Solaris and
bring their bad habits
> with them. Solaris 7 x86 may be a better
choice. Unfortunately,
> there isn't a version of Sybase available
for it yet.

> > be going for that $100,000.- a year job
running Sybase on solaris,
> > HPUX or whatever in no time. They are 95% the
same as linux. Too bad
> > the 5% is the anoying 5%, like having to work
with a 20 year old shell
> > on solaris that doesn't know what commands you
typed last and such
> > things. So you'll end up compiling and
installing hundreds of utils
> > that make life easy on a standard linux
distribution yourself.

http://www.sunfreeware.com ?

> -am

I went through this thread and loved it. I'm a DB2 for OS/390 DBA. I know very little UNIX and wanted to enhance it. My question is "Is Solaris 7 x86 a UNIX style on PC, like Linux ?" If 'yes' which is really best LINUX or SOLARIS 7 x86 ?.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jun 03 1999 - 09:02:30 CDT