Re: Are most DBA jobs on UNIX or Mainframe, not NT?

From: Anthony Mandic <am_at__.agd.nsw.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 18:30:55 +1000

Marc Baime wrote:

> Anthony Mandic wrote in message <374A16B3.8AF1E054@_.agd.nsw.gov.au>...
> > Linux may not be the best choice. I've seen too many Linux users
> > try and make the transition to Solaris and bring their bad habits
> > with them. Solaris 7 x86 may be a better choice. Unfortunately,
> > there isn't a version of Sybase available for it yet.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what bad habits would they be bringing from Linux.
> Most of my UNIX experience is with HP-UX and AIX. I recently installed
> Linux on my PC at home and the command line interface seems to be a pretty
> typical UNIX command line and X seems to be X. I installled DB2 on it
> without any major problems. DB2 runs pretty much as it does on the other
> platforms I've worked with. So, what is the problem you see with Linux? I
> haven't worked in the Solaris environment. Is it that different?

	Its not so much Linux being the problem but the users. Linux users
	would, for the most part, be MS users with no real Unix experience.
	It doesn't worry them to login as root rather than an ordinary user.
	Nor does changing the root shell or root's home directory. And
	polluting the root file system and other system directories with
	user files comes as second nature to them.

	There was a posting in news:alt.solaris.x86 last week from a new user
	complaining that he couldn't run a Netscape browser as root. I figured
	he was either a Linus user or a MS user (or probably both).

-am Received on Wed Jun 02 1999 - 03:30:55 CDT