Re: HELP: Unable to rebuild index

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:59:23 +0100

Did you change the column definition of any column in the index AFTER the index was created ?

The error message usually appears if you try to create an index where the sum of the maximum sizes for the columns is more
than about block-size/3.

Try this:

    create table t(v1 varchar2(20));
    create index t on t(v1);

    then alter column v1 to length 2000     (or 4000 if you have 8K blocks), then     try to rebuild the index.

If this is your problem then you have
to (a) rebuild the database with a bigger block size or (b) rebuild the table with a smaller column size in the index columns or (c) forget about that index.

--

Jonathan Lewis