speedy deletes?

From: <gplagge_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:52:22 GMT

Hi,
We are trying to delete about 9 million rows from a table with over 40 million rows, and which is activly in use (inserts, updates). The ideas we have come up with are verrrryyy slow. Any ideas on speeding them up? We have tried pl/sql looping through a million id numbers at a time (only deletes about 200,000 a day), regular deletes (forget it!), and cursor in pl/sql selecting a range of rows (slower than the first). We are deleting based upon an indexed field, and the explain plan says our cost is 5.

Any other tips on speeding things up?

Thanks,

Gene Plagge

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Mon May 24 1999 - 14:52:22 CDT