Re: public synonym

From: Dante <dnotari_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 18:55:08 GMT

I have to confess that I am not absolute sure what you mean by "view" a synonym.

A synonym is a pointer to a database object.

You don't grant privileges on a synonym, you  do it on an object.

In your case the synonym v_person is pointing to   a table/view v_person.

If you describe or select from v_person the   server tries to resolve v_person in the   connected users namespace, if it can't find   an object with that name it looks for a synonym   in the PUBLIC namespace. To access that object   it must a) exist and b) the connected user   must have the privilges for the operation.

As you can create a synonym to an non existing   object it is possible that a view/table v_contact   does not exist.

Select from ALL_OBJECTS and see how many V_CONTACTs exist. With the OBJECT_TYPE you will see what sort of object it is, with OWNER you will see in whose namespace the object was created.

Hope it helps
Regards
Dante

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Mon May 17 1999 - 13:55:08 CDT