Feelings about Oracle on NT Server vs. VAX/VMS

From: Craig Prusansky <cprusans_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 02:28:58 GMT

We are planning on upgrading our Oracle installation from 7.3 to 8, and at the same time move it from OpenVMS/VAX 6.2 to NT Server 4.0. I have heard mixed reactions on moving it to an NT platform from a VAX platform (we were told that Oracle is no longer supporting the newer versions on VMS). We were told by some people that on Oracle on NT gets bogged down if more than, say, 30 users are connecting at one time. We have found that any machine that is not capable physically of supporting 30 users will get bogged down no matter what operating system is on it, so we took that with a grain of salt. I would like to hear what people are experiencing with this, whether it be good, bad, or indifferent, and if anyone has suggestions or a "heads-up" of things that we need to look out for when we upgrade. We woulfd greatly appreciate any input that is provided. Thank you.

Lt. Craig Prusansky
Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue
Information and Technology Services
20 S Military Trail