Re: Feelings about Oracle on NT Server vs. VAX/VMS

From: hazledid <david.hazledine_at_roche.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:05:42 GMT

I would be wary of undertaking two major changes at once (i.e., Oracle7 to Oracle8 *and* VMS to NT). If you already have expertise in Oracle8 or NT then it should be OK,
but if both products would be new to your organisation I would try to make just one change at once, if at all possible.

I don't say this because of any major problems I'm aware of with Oracle8/NT, but just because of my own experience with changes of this nature.

No matter how well planned it is, there will be lots of things you haven't anticipated, and trying to cope with major changes to the database server and the operating system at the same time could be more than interesting!

My $0.02 worth.

David J. Hazledine
Roche Products Limited
40 Broadwater Road