Re: what is "source compressed" & "wrapped"

From: <rtproffitt_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 16:06:23 GMT

We had a situation where we didn't want the vendor to see our code (the wonders of "Partnering"), nor did we want production users to see it (like Jerry described).

Since we kept all source code for all procedures and functions outside the database on a Unix file structure, it was relatively easy to write a shell script to run WRAP for every file to produce new wrapped text files. A second Unix script created the SQL/PLUS script to load these to the database:
@file1
@file2

etc...

Thus, we had a fairly easy protocol for wrapping all code and loading it over and over again. This worked well for us, with only the Development instance using source code. Test, Training, and Production used wrapped code.

Also, to my knowledge, it is not possible to get back to the original source from the WRAPped code, so be careful not to overwrite the source file.

Robert Proffitt