Re: Strange Performance Behavior on INSERT INTO SELECT statement...

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:31:12 GMT

In article <7g5c48$645$1_at_oak.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,   "dave" <cowden_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> Ed:
>
> thanks for the reply: i've been really trying to work this one out.
> I forgot to mention but did do a plan trace on both the select and
> insert, and they were identical except the first line (which was the
> insert of course). To give you an idea of the complexity of the view,
> the plan table goes down to level 217: but like I said, they were both
> identical on all rows except the first one.
> I'd dump you a printout but It'd take a bunch o' space.
>
> Do you have any other ideas that I might could try to narrow down
> the source of the problem?

You have me stumped at the moment. What could possible happen in the INSERT step that's going to take 41seconds? I cannot try anything here right now, but I'll ask a few others for ideas. Maybe Tom Kyte can chime in at this point to show us the light.

very interesting problem though. Somehow the only factor you mentioned that has any effect is the combination of INSERT and a view.

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.