Re: Strange Performance Behavior on INSERT INTO SELECT statement...

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:19:26 +0100

Unfortunately EXPLAIN PLAN does not always tell the truth. Generate the trace file whilst running the INSERT, and running the CREATE.

Newer versions of Oracle include

    STAT #n lines after statements complete. The newest versions of Oracle include execution path details, including the number of rows examined in the row set.

By looking at these lines ('fold' the file if necessary), you may find indications that the two access paths are different.

Please keep us informed of the results.

--

Jonathan Lewis