No user_tables?

From: Joseph Conrad <joe_conrad_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:02:37 -0700

Hello everyone -

I'm fairly new to Oracle, so please forgive me if the answer to this is obvious, but...

I just downloaded & installed Oracle 8 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT. The install process went smoothly, and I can work with the database just fine, except, for example, the user "scott" has no user_tables view. Nor an all_tables view. The "demo" user has the sample problem:

SQL> describe user_tables;
ERROR:
ORA-04043: object user_tables does not exist

Now, if I log on as the "SYS" user, I *can* see user_tables, all_tables, etc - all the rest of the Oracle Data Dictionary. So what is the problem here? If I create a new user, the new user does not get user_tables, either.

Any clues, anyone?

Thanks in advance,

-Joe Received on Mon Apr 26 1999 - 17:02:37 CDT